A lot of businesses have different types of stores and a common requirement for a store locator is to differentiate between these types using map icons.
For example you might want to visually identify flagship stores or preferred retailers with their own icon, to make them stand out.
This quick tutorial outlines three methods for having different icons based on two or more store types.
We define three types of store, each with its own map icon. The three methods are:
Method 1 - Defining icon groups and setting a store's Icon field
Method 2 - Defining icon groups and linking them to Tags
- Before you link Icons to Tags you first need to have defined your Tags. For more info on doing this check out the product filtering with tags tutorial.
- Login to your Blipstar account.
- Go to Configure and select the "Icons" tab.
- Set the "Same icon for all stores?" setting to "No".
- Hit the "Add icon" button.
- Enter the name of the first icon group ("Extra" in the example).
- Upload an icon for "Extra", or choose from the Preset examples.
- Repeat this process to add as many icon groups as you require.
- Click "Save" to store your settings.
- Select the "Tags" tab.
- You'll see a table outlining your currently defined Tags.
- For each Tag set its Icon field to one of the new Icon groups you created.
- "Save" your settings.
- If you define your stores manually (rather than with a spreadsheet) you can ignore the Icon field and just enter a value for the Tag field.
- When you view your locator you should see different icons based on a store's Tag value.
Tip: If a store has more than one Tag, the first Tag is used to determine which icon to show. Also, if a store's Icon field is defined that takes priority.
Method 3 - Externally referencing icons
- In your data spreadsheet, create a column called "Icon" (if it's not already defined).
- For each location add a url in the Icon field pointing to an image on the web (e.g. "http://www.example.com/icons/express.png")...
- Upload your spreadsheet.
- When you view your locator you'll now see the different icon types displayed on the map - ta da!
We hope you found that easy to follow. If you weren't able to define different icons for your store locator let us know and we can help you out.